Tuesday 5 August 2014

obsidian by jennifer L. Armentrout



Synopsis:
Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.If I don't kill him first, that is.


Hey again! Bee here, so i know it's already tuesday and i should have done a sunday's poems... but due to a lack of internet i coudn't post one of those... so for now it will be just this review! Sorry!


I quickly want to say that i might spoil some stuff in this review due to pure exasperation.
Okay, that being said, let's get started!

So i finished this book yesterday and am about halfway through Onyx, the second book of the lux series, and am greatly disappointed.
A friend of mine had given me the impression that this book was great... how trusting i am.

You probably want to know why i didn't like the book, aye? Well, the first and biggest reason is the maddening romance betweem Katy, the bookish and kind of cool main character, and Daemon, the rude alien lightningbulb. They were dancing around eachother for the whole first book and a good part of the second book -.- like i get the whole "Humans and lightning people can't be togeter or else we will disappear and probably get tortured by evil people" thing that was going on. BUT COME ON. In the beginning of the book Daemon was wary of Kat, which i understand... i mean who could resist her witty comebacks? Plus the book said she has a nice bum... that works for- okay getting off topic here *cough* totally not having crushes on fictional characters.
Anyway, as I was saying, Daemon was being a dickface because he wanted to protect his sister's and his people's secrets. But doing so he totally pissed Kat off on several occasions, which, i must admit, was pretty amusing... i had no problem with him being a jerk. However, I did have a big problem with His shifting emotions. One moment he was all sweet and not that bad, the next he was a total jerk and embarass her and after that he could turn cold as ice. Get your shit together dude. Either you want to kiss her or not, don't play with her.
pkus, at the end of the book it was like he flipped a switch. At once he was totally unto Katy and i was like SERIOUSLY?! And then all of a sudden Katy isn't attracted to him anymore. Or so she says. *facewalls*

Now let's talkabour dear kittycat. She isn't exactly innocent in this maddening romance either. Their sexual tension is obvious. Hell, her house basically blew up when they started getting it on! And yet she tries, and failes, to hide her feelings. For him and for herself. She denies that she is in love with a lightbulb from outer space, who is kind of hot.
Which brings me onto another point of why i didn't like this book! :D
Miss armentrout used every opportunity to point out Daemon's hotness. After the tenth time she used the adverb sexy when describing his smirk I GOT THAT HE'S A HOT ALIEN. Literally, as he's made of light...hehehe get it? Hot-light, no? Okay bad joke.
Moving on!

Surprisingly, there weren't only bad features to this book. I must admit that overall the concept was good. Aliens that are made of touchable light? Cool. Light aliens that can shoot firebulbs? Awesome. That's really the onlly thing that was good about this book in my opinion.

Ah, there you have it "in my opinion". You should know that i don't particularly like storys that evolve around romance, like this one. I was disappointed, yes, but if you're a fan of romance do check this book out :) It wasn't for me, as i'm more into the bloody stuff, but yeah... if you dig sexy alien boys then do give it a try.

If you ask me i'd say that armentrout should have brought the alien stuff more to the surface. The romance is really everything this book is about. Every chapter involves daemon and kat. It's a little too much.

Bee over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment