Thursday 21 August 2014

Dangerous Reflections (The Adventures of Alexis Davenport, book one) By Shaw West


This book really surprised me, i thought it was going to be one of those stereo-typical girly teen novels where the whole book is about love but the author tries to hide that fact by adding some sort of supernatural skedaddle *cough* Lux *cough* 
But i actually really enjoyed it.

 
Alexis Davenport wants to go home. She hates her new school, her mother for moving her away from her friends, and her father for walking out.


To make matters worse, Alex is haunted by images of strange girls reflected in her mirror. It’s bad enough juggling homework, a relentless bully, boys, and a deadbeat dad; now, she must save the world from an evil presence hell-bent on changing the past – and our futures. Who knew her A+ in history was going to be this important?


Lets start with the plot. I think it was a very refreshing look on time-travel. To be honest, i've never really read any books on such a topic and i thought it would be kind of far-fetched. But hey, i read books about alternative universes where people fight each other with giant flaming pitchforks, so i can't really complain. 
That's actually the first thing that really surprised me, i found myself enjoying the idea of time travel and the way it was showcased in this novel.
I also was very shocked that i actually liked the romance that was going on, which wasn't a lot, but it was nice. I didn't like Beau at all, and i was expecting him and Alexis to end up together (thank the universe that it didn't happen). All in all it was very realistic when Alex was in school. There was bullying, jealousy, love and new-found friendships  ^.^ And the way she dealt with all of the crap everyone gave her just gave it all an extra ounce of realism and...fun.
Also, the action scenes and her time spend in the past were pretty good :). I loved the way she analysed everything and was able to recall all these little facts about important people. Like i said before, the time traveling was described in a very creative way. But... one thing that i found kind of strange is how calm she was when finding out that she could travel through time. Like, sure she was confused and everything, but she adapted pretty quickly and accepted all the stuff that was going on almost immediately.
I would probably have an emotional breakdown in the corner or something.
    I also loved the whole reason why she was traveling through time, (superhero! ^.^) it adds just the right amount of suspense to the book. I'm not often a fan of the whole good guy/bad guy thing, but Shay got me to the point of craving to know what the "evil intentions" of this Master guy were. I'm kind of mad that she left me in my suspense... after this review i'm diving into the sequel, Twisted Reflections, to figure it all out ;).

Alexis was a great character. There, i said it. She most certainly wasn't perfect, but very realistic and witty. What made me love her is that you can really see her grow up as you read. At first she's very insecure and doesn't want to stand up for herself. But as she travels through time and has all these experiences, she just becomes more confident and keeps caring less about what people think of her. It was really interesting to read. She was kind of mean to her mother, though. I really wanted to slap her several times when she gave her mother a hard time. But i suppose that's just how teens are *sigh*.
   Other than Alexis, the other characters really stood out. All of them had their own distinct personalities and were unique.

The best thing about this book was definitely the way it made my stomach turn every time Alex got into trouble while time traveling or when she got bullied. It really made me feel sad and i wanted it all to get better for her. When she started to stick up for herself and have fun i really got happy, to the point that i had this huge grin on my face and my family started asking what the hell was so funny that i had to keep laughing out loud while reading. I even found my heart rate picking up when there was some real action going on. That hasn't happened in ages, usually i just have an impassive face while reading, but Dangerous Reflections really got to me.

Oh, and can I just point out that the cover is BEAUTIFUL! Like, wow. It really catches your attention. I like it very much.

There was a pretty funny type-o that i want to share really quickly. there weren't many, but this one made me giggle. Even though it's kind of lame but oh well. ;). So.. after Alex gets kissed for the first time she's all happy and all of that. And then she thinks to herself: My fist kiss! yeah, fist. Not funny at all, i know. Just leave me and my bad sense of humor alone!  D':

I'll give this book 3 bright and shining golden stars! It wasn't perfect, but just fun and light to read. I really recommend this book to you if you're... into time traveling? Jup, i suppose that's right. Dangerous Reflections really is a page-turner and i read it in an hour or two.

That was it for now! You can expect a review of the second book in this series, Twisted Reflections, somewhere in September! I hope you'll be around for a while longer to check that out!

Lots of Luck,
Bee





No comments:

Post a Comment